What do we do with these houses?
Here at North East House Buyers, we’re all about helping the local community. We help people in difficult situations, get rid of properties they don’t want. And then once we’ve bought them, we refurbish them back up to their full potential, so we can give them back to locals in the form of high quality, affordable housing. Community is at the heart of what we do, every step of the way.
One of our properties in Jarrow
Our Refurbishment Philosophy
Refubrishing properties is extremely challenging, refurbishing them well is even more challenging than that!
Regardless, refurbing them well is exactly what we strive to do.
In order to do this, we follow a simple philosophy: “KISS – Keep It Simple, Stupid!”
You may notice that most of our refurbs, although they look great, look like copies of each other. Well that’s because they basically are! At any one time we have anywhere between 15 and 20 properties being refurbished. The only way to handle this amount of work is to keep it simple! We put in the time up front into building a template that keeps our core values/vision at its heart. Quality materials, that look fresh and clean. We use the same things for each one, the same tiles, bathroom suite, kitchen, etc. We have 3 different colour variants of the same template.
This allows us to:
- Order all our materials up front, to allow better scheduling and sequencing.
- Keep costs down as we can purchase in bulk. This saving allows us to purchase higher quality goods for the same price and give better offers for the homes we buy.
Quality materials means a higher quality experience for our tenants, who are the focus of everything we do to these houses. It means we only use products that you’d be happy putting in your own home, perhaps even better! After all, how many tenants can say they have a top quality Rak bathroom suite? Ours can! Higher quality materials means less breakdowns, and a safer and more comfortable tenant experience – which is of the utmost importance to us.
Everything gets updated to above and beyond the latest regulations. Recent regulation changes have had landlords scrambling for compliance as their properties were not considered safe. Guess who wasn’t? Us! All of our properties already applied to these latest regulation’s years ago because of exactly this approach.
One of Our North East Properties in Consett
We also don’t go crazy on colour schemes, bespoke design, and all sorts of other fads. We do this for several reasons:
- We like to provide people with a fresh canvas that they can make their own. But still looks nice enough to leave as it is! This gives our tenants more flexibility and the ability to make our property their home.
- Personal taste! Maybe you like black feature walls, and a pink kitchen sink – but not everyone does. If that’s what you want to do, then go ahead! But initially let’s keep it fresh and appealing.
- We like to let the quality of our finish do the talking. Bright colour schemes can often distract from poorly plastered walls, badly fitted sockets, and much more.
- Not going crazy with these things means we can pay more for the labour in order to ensure that things are fitted right; meaning they last longer and standing the test of time.
In summary, the key to a successful refurbishment is in understanding the key principle of good design; think with the end (user) in mind.
Our process allows us to deliver on a vision that people who work with us become a part of – creating good quality, affordable homes for the good people of the North East; to change the face of the private rented sector by redefining standards.
We understand that selling a property is not just financial; it’s personal. You want to know that the property you loved is going on to bring that same happiness to others. When you sell your house to North East House Buyers, you are ensuring that your property goes on to be well loved and appreciated by the families of the North East.